Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Let students know you are in control

In an earlier post, I discussed the importance of NOT losing your temper or becoming angry with your students. When you as the teacher are upset, or angry, these emotions convey a lack of control. In my experience, it is always best to maintain a classroom persona that is pleasant and friendly, but always in control. While you might be frustrated on the inside, it is much better to keep it there.

While the teacher must remain calm, a good classroom instructor must let students know he or she is in control. I would encourage teachers to be prepared to address any challenges to the teacher's authority. Often, we want to address these challenges to our authority head on, but this only leads to power struggles. Stay in the alpha position without an outright battle by asking questions. For instance, if a student is rude, or questions your competence, or undermines your authority, ask them one of the following questions: "Johnny, when you did this (whatever they did), how did you intend for me to feel?" or "What did you mean by that comment?" or "How did you think I would react when you did this?"

Always think through how students might respond to your question. If you are caught off guard by a student comment and aren't sure what to do then don't respond right away. Instead, use this delay tactic. "I'm am very concerned about what you said just now. I'm going to think about what is an appropriate response to that." This one has always worked great for me!!

No comments: