Sunday, November 18, 2007

Dealing with the difficult student: He who angers you conquers you


Do you have a student in your class that knows just how to push the right buttons make you feel angry? Maybe you felt a little like the guy in the picture? When that certain student is absent, do you secretly do a happy dance? We've all been there as teachers and educators. I have often thought, "If Chris (or supply your own name) wasn't in this class, then I could help the other students so much more!!!"

As a young teacher, these students would make me angry. I would get SO VERY MAD that they were acting up and causing so much trouble in the classroom. In fact, I would let it get personal. Instead of realizing I am the adult, the teacher, the one who should have a more clinical approach to addressing these behavior problems, I would raise my voice at the student: "If you don't sit down in your seat and shut your mouth, you're going to the principal's office!!!!!"

Over time, I realized this approach was ineffective and harmful. Consider the words of poet Elizabeth Kenney, "He who angers you conquers you." Remember, you want to change the behavior, you want to win! When we allow the student to make us angry, he or she wins. They are getting the attention, control, and power they desire. Furthermore, you are losing credibility with the rest of the class. When we are demonstrating anger in our classroom, we are showing the same lack of self-control that we are trying to help our students overcome.

Now, I'm not suggesting that you will never feel angry. But do your best to control these strong emotions. The difficult student needs to see that you are in control, that you are not going to react to his or her behaviors, but that you will respond logically to create the best learning environment for your students.

No comments: