Sunday, October 28, 2007

We don't argue

I believe it is very important NOT to argue with students. However, they can be very good at engaging teachers into arguments about just about everything. Here is some good advice someone once gave me about not arguing with your students. Just don't do it!

Let's say you catch a student cheating on a test and you call them on it. They say they weren't cheating (even though you caught them red-handed). You tell them you will have to give them a zero on the assignment, or whatever your normal discipline would be. They want to argue about it? Don't fall for it. Just repeat your observations, tell the student you will not argue, and move on.

"Johnny, I observed you looking off of Amanda's paper and your answers are all the same. I'm sorry you made this choice, but you will receive a zero on the quiz, and I will have to call your parents."

"I was not cheating," says the student. "I was looking over that way because the sun was shining through the window in my eyes. You are always picking on me. Suzy cheats all the time."

"Johnny, I clearly saw you looking off of Amanda's paper. I will have to give you a zero. I'm not going to argue with you about this. If you wish to discuss this further, see me after class."

No comments: